Inca dates back to 123 BC when Quintus Caecilius Metellus conquered Majorca. During the Muslim Conquest, Inca was one of the twelve districts into which the island was divided. It was known as Inkan. The book on the Chronicle of the Reign of the Conqueror King, or “Llibre dels feits”, recounts how the town was said to be “Majorca's largest village”.
Its location, almost midway between the bays of Palma and Alcúdia, made Inca a meeting point and place where people who came from outside the area resided. In 1391, a great “foreign revolt” broke out in Inca, which was never more present than in 1450, brought about due to the consequences of losing money, honours as well as the lack of adequate stability. As Inca grew, guilds were set up and, over time, the strides made in all aspects of life were remarkable.
After the “Bubonic Plague” of 1652, Inca's population dwindled from around five thousand inhabitants to two thousand, and it would take a few centuries for it to recover. In the 18th century, the guilds regained the strong position they once held and the churches of Saint Mary Major, Saint Dominic, Saint Francis and Saint Bartholomew of the Hieronymite nuns in Inca, known as “ses monges tancades”, were renovated”. This is expressed by the coats of arms (blacksmiths, shoemakers, weavers, carpenters, wool makers, etc.) located above the altarpiece of Saint Peter in the parish church of Saint Mary Major.
By 1833, Inca had a Court of First Instance and a Land Registry, which, coupled with the coming of the railway and the growth of the shoe industry, gave it a significant boost. In 1900, The Queen Regent granted the title of City to the town of Inca for its industrial, commercial and agricultural growth.
At the turn of the 20th century, Inca was a city that was open and receptive to social changes, and a trailblazer in new developments. During the first third of the century, it is worth mentioning the strong interest group movement that spread across the political, social, cultural and sporting spheres.
There are roughly 33,000 people currently living in Inca. It is the most industrial city of Part Forana and, as the capital of the County of Raiguer, it brings together administrative, service and commercial activities.